Saturday, October 18, 2008

Neck Up/Shoulders Down: Week 1

Per my previous post, and my proclamation to start paying attention not only to what I put in my body, but to also pay attention to WHY the urge is there. It's called "intuitive eating", and my promise to myself is to stop for a minute or two, each time before I eat, and ask myself if the urge to eat is coming from the "neck up" (emotional) or the "shoulders down" (true physical hunger).

Lots of times I don't even enjoy what I'm eating and I suspect it's because I'm not having true physical hunger. Instead, I'd been blaming it on my diet and allowing myself to then eat whatever I wanted in order to appease my mood. What I was trying so hard to ignore is that in order to have success at losing weight, I need to view this as a behavior modification, not just a short-term solution. Somewhere along the way I'd been ignoring all the thinking you are supposed to do with Weight Watchers, and thus, that is why I have been struggling so much for so long.

Here are my stats. As embarrassed as I am to put them out there, I'm hoping it will only be temporary:

Weight: 214.0
Bust: 44 inches
Waist: 37.5 inches
Hips: 48 inches
Mood: ready to take care of business!!

No comments: