Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Triumph! Day One

Well it's Day One of my fresh and healthy start to managing my weight. With the focus purely being on HEALTHY behaviors. I have to say that thus far, it's been a success. Now, I still have the rest of the night to make it through, but I plan on getting to be fairly early, so I should do okay.

For starters, I MADE myself stay awake last night until 2am. I have recently gotten into the terrible habit of sleeping until about 5pm on my day off and then finding myself back in bed by 11 or 12 which not only means I lose an evening of productivity, but also that I usually wake up around 3 or 4am not able to sleep anymore. This was good for a while in terms of getting an early start on chores etc., however, I was finding that I was crashing mid-day and when I'm tired, I eat more. Last night I watched American Idol with D (via phone, our ritual when we aren't together) and then gave myself a much needed root job on my hair color, and painted my toenails and fingernails while catching up on nearly a week's worth of Days of Our Lives (I can't believe I'm admitting this) and last night's 90210. Yes, my TV watching is that of a 16 year old girl and/or a 57 year old cat lady, I can't decide. I loved my beautification night and have bangin' hair and nails today as a result. I slept until 11:30am, and I feel GREAT!!

I made a delish lunch of a boca burger on an Arnold Sandwich Thin with some cheese and just a touch of mayo made with olive oil. I measured out 3 points worth of frozen french fries, and decidedly added peaches for dessert. I know fries don't scream "healthy endeavor", however it was seriously like 7 of them and they were baked, not deep fried. Baby steps! So far I've only had one drink with caffeine in it today, and I'm hoping to keep to that. I'm making pasta primavera for dinner- a recipe I created that consists of:

1 serving Barilla Plus Angel Hair
1 serving Bertolli Vodka Sauce
1 C frozen Garlic Seasoned Spinach and Mushrooms
1 C frozen Pepper Stir Fry
1 tsp EVOO
2 tbsp shredded parm

SOOOOO good. And very filling for a a meatless dish.

And now for my triumph of the day.....
I was able to do my C25K training without getting shin splints! I was VERY worried about it going into the gym- it's almost like my shins connect with my brain and as soon as they find out that I'm planning to run, I start to get little twinges of pain. Totally mental, I know! So, I did an extra long warm up, with about 4-5 minutes of brisk walking around the track before I hopped on the treadmill. Then I did the C25K 5 minute warm-up and was able to complete 40 minutes on the treadmill with only a tiny bit of soreness at the end, that which I think I can overcome by doing some extra stretching, taking a longer cool down walk, advil and managing to find something else to do for cardio tomorrow and Friday. The bummer part is that I had to wing it for the last half of my c25K training. I use an app on my iPod that simply tells you when to run or walk, based on what week you are on with the training. I've mentioned it here before, and I totally think it's worth the $2.99! I get too zoned out to pay attention to just when exactly I'm supposed to start/stop running. Anyway, one gripe that I have is that you can't go back and adjust your music while the C25K app is running. Well, you can pause it, but you can't switch between the two screens. So, I landed on a really slow and unmotivating song while mid-run, and decided I'd try to pause an go back and I lost my progress! That's okay, because staying on this week's training for one extra day is actually probably not a bad idea.

Lessons learned from shin splints:

1) If you're on a running training program, you should probably do it as directed and not try to cram three sessions back to back. I did this for a few weeks and two weeks ago I was barely able to walk from the gym to my car!

2) Stretching is important!

3) You can't go from sedentary to a runner overnight. Not that I was sedentary, but I certainly am not a runner. As much as I want to hammer it out on the treadmill, running full speed ahead for the entire time, I'm not there yet.

Tonight's plans include catching up on The Biggest Loser, seeing who gets kicked off American Idol, and maybe doing a little reading. Low-key. D informed me that since he has the weekend off, he will be coming to town on Friday after work!! I knew it was his weekend off, and I was rrrrrealy hoping he would come to see me, so I was thrilled with this news. Now if I could just get stupid engagement rings out of my head so that I'm not disappointed when it doesn't happen...
I'm really bugging out. I totally want this to be a surprise, and I am a major ruiner of surprises, so I'm trying really hard, but I'm also getting impatient. I'm just trying not to show D this psycho side of myself so he doesn't get put off! Hah!

3 comments:

Lizzie said...

Ok, first off - DAYS OF OUR LIVES is a REAL THING??? HAHAHA! How fun! I thought it was made up on Friends!

Secondly - why not create a 'workout' playlist of up tempo songs and have that on while youre on the treadmill, thatw ay you wont interrupt your programme and wont have to change songs! Thats what i do anyways and it helps loads.

WELL DONE BRI!!!!!!!!!!! keep it up xxxxx

Brianna said...

I do have playlists for "Warmup" and "Cardio", but somehow some really slow Queen snuck in there! I'll have to delete that from my playlist!

Emily Canady said...

Okay, so I love your plan to focus on health. I think I've decided to go ahead and refocus myself once again. I always seem to stray off path at some point, and what I've learned is that i'm actually happiest when I am just focusing on health. My body likes the healthy stuff and I feel better consistently. I too shall have a do-over week this week. I suffered all week with some depression. Yes, I am completely prone to it and its been a combination of factors completely out of my control. My mental health is not my fault and I have to accept it and not beat myself up over it. This is what the therapist says anyway :) Regardless, do-over starts today and a good "healthy" day is in order.

Anyway, back to you... enough of me.... I love your tv watching. I am so right there with you. I no longer watch Days of Our Lives but I pretty much have my whole life. My mom watched when I was younger and therefore its always been a part of my life. The Brady's and the Horton's :) And I dig 90210 totally addicted. And my tivo box is that of a 15 year old. Seriously. Lots of stupid teen shows. Maybe they keep us young :) AT least at heart I suspect.

It is so true what you said about being a runner. As much as you want to be, you will eventually if you keep up with it. it does NOT happen over night. So true. It's been a year Bri, for me to really come into my own. I did not just wake up one day thinking I could run and run. There were plently of times where running for 15 minutes was a victory. Slowly but surely I worked myself up. That is the goal. So reward your triumps every day. Running at all and aspiring to run more is a goal unto itself. Don't lose focus of that. You are accomplishing great things by just keeping at it. That is the truth. One step at a time.