Tuesday, October 13, 2009

New Job Temptations

In case you missed it- I'm a nurse who normally works the night shift. That means three nights of the week I go in to work at 7pm and leave sometime after 7am. It's kind of like a pajama party for sick people when I go to work and I love the night shift. I started a new job this week and, really started to let it get me on the wrong foot, food-wise.

You see, when you are used to starting your day at dusk, it's really freaking hard to get up and be somewhere at 8am. It's hard for me to fall asleep at 10 or 11pm, and it's hard for me to be alert all day when I'm just sitting there listening to someone talk, which is, essentially what I'll be doing all week.

After coming off a really good week last week where I spread out my WPA and didn't eat my APs, what do you think I did this weekend? Yup, you guessed it. Back to my old ways. Torched my WPA and skipped working out. And then yesterday I didn't track and I know I was way over points. But today is Tuesday, and I'm back on track. That means I can be good 4/7 days this week and hopefully maintain, at a minimum. Working out will be a little tricky with my 8-5 schedule paired with the fact that my future in-laws are getting in tonight and will be visiting all week. I'm going to sneak in a workout tonight before they get here, and, since Dave will be home with them the rest of the week, hopefully I can beg off for some gym time each evening.

I have to work the day shift for 4 more weeks after this, to get oriented. I'm determined not to let feeling tired lead me to overeating. That is something that I have to stay majorly on top of, so that I can stop myself before I cram 17 packs of cookies into my mouth whenever I'm feeling drained. It happens. I'm practicing using HALT (hungry, angry, lonely or tired) to try to stay on top of things that make me eat that aren't hunger-related. I'm still optimistic for weigh-in this week. I found out there is a microwave in the building that we are training in tomorrow, and I fully plan on bringing some leftover spaghetti squash for lunch!

1 comment:

Shhh said...

I find that when I have company visit I can set a precedent by saying "I go to the gym at 7pm every night, if any of you would like to join me!".

Either they will say yes and be workout buddies, or say no thanks, and you are golden!