Tuesday, September 8, 2009

One Minute at a Time

Well, I've skipped 2 Weight Watchers meetings, and, as of today, I've pretty much wrecked the first 4 days of being OP for this week. Well, I take that back, I had one good day over my work weekend. I really need to get to the root of what my problem is. Is it the looming pressure of turning 30 in 5ish weeks and wanting to look good for the inevitable pictures that will be snapped? Is it because of the pressure of being a bridesmaid for my BFF who is a successful dentist, getting married in a fancy ceremony in May? Is it the pressure of knowing that I should be gearing up to try on wedding dresses for my own wedding in just a few short months? What is it? Is it the stress of moving in with my fiance in just a couple more weeks? Is it the stress of ending a job and starting a new one? I simply don't know.

I suspect it's a little bit of all of it, but I think it would be wise for me to learn the life skill of managing what I eat, even in stressful times- after all, I'm a natural worrier, so I kind of thrive on stress. Well, in every area other than dietary. For instance, in school, or at work, I work best under pressure. I am my most brilliant when deadlines are just around the corner. I get high off getting down to the wire. BUT- I am the exact opposite when it comes to eating habits. The stress and hurriedness of meeting deadlines makes me crave bad-for-me foods and drives me to throw my Weight Watchers habits right out the window.

I've been thinking a lot about hot to tackle this. Let's face it, I am not living a normal schedule at all right now. I'm bouncing from my house in town, to our new apartment at the beach. I'm working in town on the weekends, and headed to the beach each week, all the while dragging my stuff, carload by carload to the new place. I've been helping Dave through 2 of 3 surgeries that he's having (all minor, no worries) and also somehow trying to prepare to start planning a wedding somewhere in the back of my head during all this. I think the best thing to do is just to try to live wisely right now and live in the moment. To aim to just make it through each moment with some success. To accept that right now I likely can't plan my meals for the entire week because I'm all over the place within each 7 days right now until my life settles down.

So here is my pledge:

If I do slip up, I will not GIVE UP. My WW leader from a few weeks ago asked, "If you spilled a glass of wine on the carpet, would you go get the whole bottle and pour it out??" The answer is no! So why would I treat my body any differently? This is very hard for me to do, though. I have a very "all or nothing" mentality, which is why diets really don't work, right? Which is why I should not treat WW like a diet. So, I won't anymore. I will take things meal by meal until I get on a regular schedule again where I can plan more far in advance. I will CARVE OUT the time to exercise each day and prepare my food with as much advance notice to myself as I can.

This is simple enough for me to follow so I can just hang on until my life resumes a little more normal pace. I've got to be better to myself.

No comments: